Capitol Impact is seeking an experienced and motivated professional to lead government relations activities on behalf of the Linked Learning Alliance. The Government Relations Manager will be responsible for identifying and influencing proposed state legislative and regulatory activities.
The Government Relations Manager will be responsible for strengthening the Linked Learning Alliance’s impact on policy development by developing and implementing an advocacy strategy for the Alliance in collaboration with colleagues and with leaders in the Linked Learning field.
- Develop and implement the Linked Learning Alliance state government relations strategy and tactics in order to advance the Linked Learning field and Alliance policy agenda
- Plan and execute strategies to ensure that any state policy and/or legislation have a positive or neutral impact on the Linked Learning field
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop policy agenda that advances the Linked Learning field and the Linked Learning Alliance
- Represent the Linked Learning Alliance in legislative and regulatory settings, with minimal engagement in direct lobbying activity
- Develop and implement strategy for communicating end educating policymakers at the state government level in California, including site visits, policy briefings, drafting of letters, and distribution of fact sheets and reports
- Develop and implement strategies to influence decisions in key regulatory initiatives.
- Interact with members of the state's executive branch and with members and staff of California’s legislative body
- Track and keep management and relevant Alliance governance entities informed of pending legislation that could impact the Linked Learning field
- Coordinate with stakeholders and initiate strategic initiatives in collaboration with stakeholders
- Represents the Linked Learning Alliance in a variety of forums including providing testimony at State Board of Education meetings, legislative hearings, and other meetings that address policies or legislation impacting the Linked Learning field
- Compile intelligence to inform development of strategies and tactics
- Coordinate and provide staff support for the Linked Learning Alliance Advocacy Panel
- Collaborate with and mentor colleagues
- Bachelor's degree, or higher
- Six or more years of relevant work experience
- Experience in public policy / advocacy / issues management and coalition-building
- Demonstrated skills in negotiating and advocating for issues
- Knowledge of regulatory and legislative processes at the state level
- Demonstrated communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong network of contacts at the state level in California, including the California state Capitol, the California Department of Education, the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, and the California Workforce Investment Board.
- Highest level of personal integrity
- Strong leadership skills
- Self-starter and evidence of intellectual curiosity
- Strong organizational and planning skills required
- Ability to work with all levels of management
Salary and Benefits
$48,000-$60,000 annually, depending on education and experience, plus a benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision coverage as well as 401(K) matching.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Position is open immediately until filled.